Friday, April 16, 2010

Rawpple Pie *raw vegan*



So I made this pie the day before yesterday. It's yummy. My children adore it. The recipe came from the book, The Raw Gourmet by Nomi Shannon. I have two of her recipe books as well as a few other raw food books.

I am a little enamored with the raw food diet. I was first introduced to the concepts of the raw food diet about 13 years ago while living in Victoria B.C. I purchased a book by Ann Wigmore and one by Viktoras Kulvinskas at that time and have accumulated many raw food books since then. I have never come anywhere close to only eating raw food but the benefits of eating a raw food diet are many and I do think that everyone can benefit from eating more raw foods.

Although in the description for this apple sauce pie recipe it says that it rivals any cooked apple pie and that people will not believe that it is raw, I didn't think so. My father-in-law however, was very surprised that this pie was raw and he loves pie so perhaps I am wrong.

I did change the recipe slightly and because I don't have really any of the equipment required (heavy duty juicer, large heavy duty food processor or dehydrator) I had to make due with what I do have. Here's a link to the recipe I used.

Pie Crust
1 3/4 Cup raw almonds and walnuts (soaked over night and well rinsed)
1 1/2 cups dates
1 Tbsp water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
cinnamon to taste ( I like lots)
2 tsps Psyllium

Put all ingredients in the food processor. Press into a pan. Dehydrate for 1 hour.

Pie Filling
10-12 apples (peeled and cored)
2 cups dates, pitted
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1-2 tablespoons psyllium

Put all filling ingredients into a Vitamix (or food processor if you really want to work!). Blend. Pour into pie crust. Chill.

I added much more cinnamon than the recipe called for ( I really love cinnamon). And when I processed the raw apple mixture with my blender, I added the juice of one lemon and a wee bit of water so that it would blend. Also, I had to make both the filling and the crust in small batches as my food processor is just a little one and my blender is pretty small too.

In the end, I had way too much filling and so we are eating a whole lot of apple sauce here! Anyway, my kids think it's a real treat and it is extremely good for them so, I'm happy. I would certainly make this pie again.

♥ Andrea ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment today! ♥