Thursday, May 20, 2010

Raw Lemon Bars *raw vegan*

I finally got a dehydrator! Thank you so much to my dear friend Shona for the amazing gift!

So far I've made pizza crust twice out of ground flax seeds, tomatoes, celery, sea salt, pepper, basil, oregano and garlic. The basic recipe for the pizza crust is in 12 Steps to Raw Food by Vicoria Boutenko. I added a lot of flavoring to this. It was delicious.

The other thing I've made are these lemon bars...



It fell apart when I tried to flip it over in the dehydrator but it is really quite delicious. I took the almond pulp left over from making almond milk. I used about two cups of almond pulp. I added the zest of two lemons (I like it really tart) and the juice of about 1 1/2 - 2 lemons also. I blended this in a food processor with about 20 medjool dates. I spread the mixture out on parchment paper and pressed unsweetened dried coconut on top. This I dehydrated until it seemed ready and then peeled off the parchment paper (I pulled the paper off too early- hence the crumbled bars) and let it dehydrate longer. I didn't time it, I just took it out when it seemed ready. The kids really like it. They think it's a real treat.

I am loving the dehydrator! It's really convenient. You can leave it on and walk away or even go out. It's not as time sensitive as the oven and you can make raw snacks without compromising the nutritional qualities of your food. There are a ton of raw recipes on-line that use a dehydrator. If you are looking for free raw recipes try here, here and here to get started.

♥ Andrea ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment today! ♥